This is my special fried rice. It’s super easy and DELICIOUS.
Difficulty Level: EASY PEASY
2 cups white rice (japanese or other)
2 spring onions
1 garlic clove
3 large pieces of ham
Few tbsp frozen peas, defrosted
Few tbsp sweet corn
2 tbsp soy sauce
Sprinkle of stock powder (optional)
Salt and pepper (white pepper is better)
Vegetable oil for frying (or olive oil if you prefer)
Toasted Black sesame
Many of these ingredients can be substituted for others. For example, you could try this with prawns instead of ham. Any kind of veg that you would use in a stir fry goes well. The rice is quite essential though.
- Cook rice. It’s better slightly undercooked rather than overcooked so add a little less water than usual when cooking e.g. 2 cups rice: 2 cups water
- Thaw some frozen peas and drain a can of sweet corn. Finely chop spring onions and garlic and slice carrot into thin matchsticks (you can also use grated carrot).
- Slice ham into small pieces. Beat eggs with a pinch of salt.
- Put wok on high heat. Add just a drizzle of oil to prevent sticking, pour in beaten egg and fry. Break up egg as it fries. Once it is a bit dryer than scrambled eggs, transfer to plate, scraping off as much as possible from pan.
- In same wok, heat glug of oil on high heat. Add garlic, veg and ham. Fry for a couple of mins. Drain excess oil with sieve (or just set aside).
- Heat more oil in wok, throw in cooked rice, stir, add cooked vegetables and ham, add sprinkle of sesame seeds. Throw in all seasonings – soy sauce, stock powder, salt and pepper and mix really well.
- Take off heat and scatter over egg and serve. Maybe after you’ve had a cheeky taste!
Categories: Recipes, Rice dishes
Leave a Reply