Yakitori means grilled chicken. It’s very similar to chicken teriyaki (see also my chicken teriyaki recipe and my chicken teriyaki video) but these look cute because they are on a stick. I like to have these when I want to make a simple and tasty appetiser for friends but you can serve these up with rice and vegetables for a main meal too!
Serves 6 as an appetiser
Difficulty level: Medium
4 chicken thighs (skinless and boneless)
3 large spring onions
Shichimi (7 spices) (optional)
Teriyaki sauce –
YOU WILL NEED:
8 bamboo skewers
1. Soak bamboo skewers in cold water whilst preparing the sauce and chicken so they don’t burn when you cook the chicken on them.
2. Cut the chicken into 1 inch pieces.
3. Make teriyaki sauce. Place sauce ingredients in a saucepan, bring to the boil, then simmer on low heat for a 2 mins. Set aside
4. Cut spring onions into inch long pieces (use the light green parts and keep the dark green bits for another day).
5. Make yakitori skewers by piercing chicken then spring onion then chicken etc. Put about 3 pieces of chicken on each stick.
6. Grill the chicken sticks, cooking them well on both sides. This should take about 6-8 mins.
7. Once the chicken is cooked and turning golden, baste the chicken in the teriyaki sauce. Grill again for 2 mins each side.
8. Serve yakitori with some extra sauce and a little shichimi if you like.